ViroChannel brings together healthcare professionals, with a focus in virology, to learn from guest experts and discuss the most relevant clinical practice challenges facing them today.
with Drs. Calvin Cohen, David Michael Asmuth, Gary Blick, Mark A. Wainberg, and Michael S. McGrath
In this program Dr. Calvin Cohen at CROI 2014 interviews a panel of experts on the management of HIV-associated enteropathy.
The panel summarizes key data findings at CROI 2014 surrounding HIV-associated enteropathy, discusses the effect HIV has on the enteric mucosa, the challenges in diagnosis and management, as well as emerging treatments.
The panel further points out the consequences of such a chronic inflammation response and the importance of early detection and treatment.
This activity is supported by
an educational grant from:
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Identify the current features of the clinical presentation of HIV-associated enteropathy including the initiation of the etiology and what biomarkers should be added to determine impact of HIV disease progression besides viral load and CD4 counts
- Define the implications of HIV-associated enteropathy and immune reconstitution
- Explain how microbial translocation and the associated elevation of expression of inflammatory cytokines affect the recombination of Th17s and other important cell factors in the immune system
- Explain HIV-related microbial translocation contribute to the pathogenesis of systemic viremia and how HIV contributes to gut microbiota evisceration
- Identify co-morbidities are associated with HIV-associated enteropathy
- Explain how microbial translocation is associated with increased cardiovascular risk in HIV patients
- Describe what future trends in research on HIV-associated enteropathy will look like and how the data on EnteraGam is going to predictably influence the treatment of HIV in clinical practice
Calvin Cohen, MD, MSc
CRI New England Harvard Vanguard
Harvard Medical School
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
David Michael Asmuth, MD
Professor of Medicine
University of California
Davis Medical Center
Sacramento, California, USA
Gary Blick, MD, AAHIS
President | Founder
World Health Clinicians, Inc.
Circle C.A.R.E. Center
Norwalk, Connecticut, USA
Mark A. Wainberg, PhD
McGill AIDS Center
Professor of Medicine
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Michael S. McGrath, MD, PhD
Medicine and Pathology
University of California in San Francisco
ViroChannel has a conflict of interest policy that requires faculty to disclose relevant financial relationships related to the content of their presentations/materials. Any potential conflicts are resolved so that presentations are evidence-based and scientifically balanced.
Calvin Cohen, MD, MSc, has a financial interest/relationship or affiliation in the form of:
Advisory: Bristol-Myers Squibb, Janssen, Merck, ViiV Healthcare
Industry funded research investigator + advisory: Gilead
David Michael Asmuth, MD, has a financial interest/relationship or affiliation in the form of:
Consultant: ViiV Healthcare, Merck, Pfizer, Entera Health
Gary Blick, MD, AAHIS, has a financial interest/relationship or affiliation in the form of:
Industry funded research/investigator: Sangamo Bioscience, Gilead
Speakers Bureau, Faculty, Peer reviewer Advisory Committee/Board: ViiV Healthcare, Janssen, Bristol-Myers Squibb
Industry funded research/investigator: AbbVie
Mark A. Wainberg, PhD, has a financial interest/relationship or affiliation in the form of:
Industry funded research / investigator and Speakers Bureau, Faculty, Peer Reviewer Advisory Committee/Board: ViiV HealthCare
Consultant: Merck, Gilead
Michael S. McGrath, MD, PhD, has a financial interest/relationship or affiliation in the form of:
Consultant, Stock/Ownership, Patent holder: Pathologica
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
The faculty of this educational activity may include discussions of products that are not currently labeled for use by the FDA. Faculty members have been advised to disclose to the audience any reference to an unlabeled or investigational use. No endorsement of unapproved products or uses is made or implied by coverage of these products or uses. No responsibility is taken for errors or omissions. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications and warnings.